Hever Castle: What if Anne Boleyn is not Anne Boleyn?
I’ve just read a post in a Brazilian Anne Boleyn’s fansite, which compares the most famous Anne Boleyn’s portrait and the portrait of Mary Tudor, Princess of England, Queen of England and Duchess of Suffolk, with Charles Brandon, her second husband, Duke of Suffolk.
The right portrait, known to be Anne Boleyn, is a copy made in the 16th century, based on a original image supposedly made between 1533-1536. On the other hand, the left portrait, Mary Tudor, is a portrait by her 20 years old, in 1516.
According to “Boullan”:
- The color of the eyes, the format of the faces, the long neck, the nose and mouth are similar in both portraits. Mary was five years older than Anne (if we suppose she was born in 1501), and, in 1533, Mary would be 37 and Anne, 32.
- If it is Mary Tudor on both portraits, the B wouldn’t mean Boleyn, but Brandon. We could even risk this is a posthumous portrait of Mary, since she died in 23rd June 1533. Maybe her husband, Charles, would like to see in her neck the “B” of Brandon as a symbol of her love for him.
- The appearance of the woman identified as Anne Boleyn in the picture does not match with the descriptions we have by, for an example, the venetian ambassador: he said her eyes were “black and pretty”, and her mouth was “large”. It was also said that her hair was thick, shiny and very dark.
Link to the post: http://boullan.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/o-enigma-de-b/
What do you think?
Tagged as: elizabethan ~ tudor ~ anne boleyn ~ boleyn ~ hever ~ hever castle ~ england ~ portrait ~ history ~
Reblogged from: hoop-skirts-and-corsets
Originally posted by: dieu-etmondroit
- alex-noir likes this
- bagginses-and-boffins likes this
- shaestel reblogged this from tiny-librarian and added:
- molololo likes this
- thekingsmistress reblogged this from dieu-etmondroit
- inutilium reblogged this from europeanmonarchies
- ificouldonlydreamthisworldaway reblogged this from europeanmonarchies
- ificouldonlydreamthisworldaway likes this
- imhalfsickofshadows reblogged this from europeanmonarchies and added:
- iggyluv333 reblogged this from tiny-librarian
- iggyluv333 likes this
- writingthedreams likes this
- lifeisaworkinprogress reblogged this from europeanmonarchies and added:
- quotidienteen likes this
- thatnewromantic likes this
- egyptianworldempress likes this
- europeanmonarchies reblogged this from tiny-librarian
- gracefullyvintage likes this
- tiny-librarian reblogged this from dieu-etmondroit
- stars-show-your-fires likes this
- hostmorke reblogged this from dieu-etmondroit
- royalruins reblogged this from dieu-etmondroit
- belaboobs reblogged this from dieu-etmondroit
- evereven reblogged this from elizabethantrinkets
- yourlovesdesire reblogged this from brookie-in-training
- brookie-in-training reblogged this from dieu-etmondroit
- misanthropic-lycanthropy likes this
- conquered likes this
- everfray likes this
- porfa4 reblogged this from dieu-etmondroit
- silhouettedreverie likes this
- ladyishenough reblogged this from dieu-etmondroit
- roughkiss answered: OooOooOh that is a strong case! How fascinating!
- lightalchemist reblogged this from renegademoofin
- renegademoofin reblogged this from whistlebotsattack and added:
- renegademoofin likes this
- whistlebotsattack reblogged this from hoop-skirts-and-corsets
- konfetti answered: they do look incredibly alike!
- theheroichydrangea answered: It could be the portraits just look similar- there is a portrait of Mary Tudor (bloody Mary) and Elizabeth that look almost identical.
- british-supertramp answered: mary tudor was only married once… so no
- jessicabernadette reblogged this from dieu-etmondroit
- jessicabernadette likes this
- belaboobs likes this
- moriartys-bitch likes this
- royalrory reblogged this from malenaboleyn
- peculiargroove reblogged this from dieu-etmondroit
- peculiargroove likes this
- nuit-des-temps reblogged this from hoop-skirts-and-corsets
- eloquentagenda likes this
- the-coffin-club reblogged this from dieu-etmondroit and added: